Pages

26 January 2013

The Huguenin Family Triple-C Secret Recipe

As a kid, I always loved it when Dad made "Triple Cs" (chocolate chip cookies). His cookies were my favorite out of any other chocolate chip cookies I had from anyone else. When I moved away, I asked him for his "secret recipe" so that I could make some at my new home. Imagine my shock when he responded with "Oh, just buy a bag of chocolate chips; I just used the recipe on the back of the bag." Lost in disillusionment, I set out to make my own chocolate chip cookie "secret family recipe". In one experiment, I even tried to make an egg-less cookie (that ended very badly). So far, The Huguenin Family Triple-C Secret Recipe is not too much different from the back of the chocolate chip bag, except for a few changes that improve the cookies greatly, IMHO. I also want to learn how to make them with whole wheat flour, but Emily tells me that it doesn't cook the same way. I may later update this recipe if I ever figure out how to do it with wheat flour, or if I come up with another good addition to the recipe. The secret to this recipe is that it's still a work in progress, but I hope you like my improvements.


Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp milled flax seed
  • 2 sticks salted butter
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp almond extract
  • 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375˚ F.

Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and flax seed. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add butter (slightly softened to aid in mixing), sugar, brown sugar, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Beat until creamy. Add eggs, then beat again until smooth.

Slowly add the mixture containing the flour, baking soda, salt, and flax seed. Mix thoroughly.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Separate the dough into small clumps on a cookie sheet and bake at 375˚ F approx. 8-10 minutes.

Naturally, the size you choose for your cookies will determine how many are made. I think that you should be able to get a few dozen cookies out of this recipe pretty easily. I rarely cook all the dough; most of it I freeze and then pull the frozen dough out to snack on throughout the week.

2 comments:

  1. Your Aunt Rose just tried to substitute 1/2 of the flour with whole wheat flour and it does pretty well. It gives it a more earthy flavor. Your dad does like his CCC, and I don't mean Clearwater

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah? we've been thinking about using whole wheat flour, but we're not sure. My wife tried doing the whole thing with whole wheat flour recently and it was a disaster. She claims that was the only thing she changed, so we're not totally sure how to go about it. We might try doing what you did.

    ReplyDelete